Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Congratulations, Anders!



Anders and his big brother Nils
Today, my 18 year-old nephew Anders is graduating from High School.  However, on Sunday afternoon he graduated from Seminary.

Both achievements are pretty cool.

Seminary consists of four years of religious instruction, where high school-age kids attend for an hour daily before their school classes begin - or, as in the case of Anders who lives in Utah - get time out to attend during their regular school day.  (There is also on-line seminary for kids who live in places where regular seminary classes are not available.)
Mugging for the camera

Then pausing for a smile

Photo bombing...
When I went to Seminary, it was the early in the morning kind.  It was hard getting up (if my father were still around you could ask him!  I was always having trouble getting out of bed!), but once there I remember really enjoying the classes.  We always had great teachers and it was a positive way to start the day.  All the Seminary kids walked to school together as a group.  I remember that being fun.

I know Anders' experiences with Seminary were different than mine, but I'll bet the classes weren't all that different.  I always loved studying the scriptures.

Christian and Nils horsing around... just a little
Students have one year of study in each of these categories: Holy Bible - Old Testament, Holy Bible - New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Church History.

It's good preparation for life, and for serving a mission, which Anders intends to do soon, now that he's eligible. In this country, you have to be 18 and a high school  graduate to serve.

After that, it will be on to college!

Anders with his proud mom
We're proud of you, Anders!


No comments: