Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Life in Hong Kong

Subway Rush Hour in Hong Kong
Jonathan, a friend and former co-worker, recently moved with his entire family to Hong Kong.  It's a startling change for a California boy.

First of all, he faces a daunting commute.  Although everything is very accessible in Hong Kong, during peak hours the subway is mobbed - awash in a sea of people.  Of the photo above, Jonathan merely says, "[It] took me 5 minutes to get on the train."

The other challenge was finding Mexican food.

That one made me laugh.

Well, he is a Californian to the core!

He did say the food in Hong Kong was excellent, but finding Mexican food was a challenge!

Mr. Taco Truck, Hong Kong
Jonathan writes:
Found a hole-in-the-wall restaurant about two blocks from work.  The burrito did not taste authentic.  no beans inside and the sauce was different.  But it satisfied my craving.  I will try the tacos next time.  They don't have tamales.

This so reminded me of how I crave Jack-In-The-Box tacos when I'm away from the U.S. for any length of time.  Now, in case you don't know about Jack-In-The-Box drive-through restaurants where you live, let me just explain that their tacos may not actually be technically classified as a food.  I mean, I crave them, they are delicious, but the texture is rather like crunchy cardboard, grease, and some meat-like substance that is probably TVP (textured vegetable protein).

It does beg the question of what means "home" to you.  Have you thought about that?

 If you've ever spent an extended period of time far away from home you'll know what I mean.  If you have had that experience, what aspect of every day living did you miss the most?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For this Midwestern boy its White Castles. Its a craving that most people can't relate to. And when you grow up with it and then move 1700 miles away from the closest restaurant that craving just gets INTENSE.
You can imagine the White Castle frenzy we would indulge in whenever we returned to Indiana from out west!
Scott