Monday, March 18, 2013

Relief Society Birthday Party!

Happy Birthday, Relief  Society!
The Relief Society of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the oldest women's organization in the world.  On Sunday, March 17th, Relief Society turned 172 years old!

The Relief Society is a philanthropic and educational women's organization, and, with somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 million members in over 170 countries, is not only the oldest women's organization in the world, but also the largest.


The beautiful cake had real flowers on it!
Relief Society's motto is Charity Never Faileth.

In our little corner of the world, our congregation has a very tiny Relief Society.  We are none the less mighty in good works and friendship.  Last Thursday night, we celebrated the birthday of the founding of the Relief Society in a big, fun way.

Our program notes were on the back of this elegant card
We usually have a dinner for our Relief Society celebration.  This year is was a baked potato bar - my favorite kind of bar, next to a chocolate bar or a taco bar...

We also had a fabulous birthday cake - as you can see in the above photos, which our very talented Jessica made.  It had three different flavors: lemon with raspberry icing (my favorite!), vanilla with fresh strawberry filling and chocolate.

We even sang a hearty happy birthday to Relief Society before we cut the cake!

This antique sewing machine was part of a display of the historical Relief Society
We had a big turn-out for our celebration on Thursday night.  So many, in fact, that there were lots of ladies I didn't get pictures of.
The good sisters of our ward enjoying each others' company

I think I embarrassed these ladies! 


And these!

And probably these, too!

Clowning for the camera - I love it!

I'm always catching some people off guard
I realized later that I forgot to get photos of the women sitting at my own table.  But in my defense, by that time my camera batteries were running low!
The hall was so nicely decorated
We had a great time together.

Relief Society has been a real blessing in my life.  I love these women.  They are a tremendous force for good in our little corner of the vineyard, and all over the world.

Happy Birthday, Relief Society!

No comments: