Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Family Memorial Day

The 1940 Buccaneer
I think I've already explained how camera crazy our family is.  My brother and his daughter have an on-going love affair with the camera lens.  

My brother, in particular, loves collecting old cameras.  He actually develops his own film, too. The above camera is a Buccaneer, made by Universal. It's a 35mm camera made in the late 1940s. 

The 1950 Brownie
Here is my brother's Kodak Brownie.  Kodak Brownies were cheap and reliable cameras. This one is from 1950. You can't adjust or focus these cameras. Anything farther than 3 feet away is supposed to be in focus, but that's a general term. You get just 8 exposures per roll.   And, yes, he developed and scanned these pictures at home.

In spite of the age and quirks of these cameras, the pictures that were taken with them on Memorial day were remarkably good!


My studly nephew Anders

Cousins in the pool

My beautiful sister-in-law


A rare photo of  old-fashioned family banana torture

Jeff and Linnea enjoying the sunny day
It's hard to tell which photos were taken with the Brownie and which were taken with the more sophisticated Buccaneer.  Fun, huh?  And it looks like a good time was had by all.

I know it's a little late, but hope you had a happy Memorial Day, too!

No comments: