Monday, June 18, 2012

A Fairy Garden

Pink Coral Bells
My friend Desiree moved up to Oregon and promptly put in a fairy garden.  What is a fairy garden?   It's a garden full of the flowers associated with fairies, of course.  I guess the idea is, "if you plant them, they will come".

Or something like that.

Desiree sent me these photos at the beginning of May.  You can see her flowers are just coming into bloom.  I can't wait to see what everything looks like later on in the season.

Daffodils and Hyacinths blooming despite the snow
Now, I have to give the disclaimer.  I have a cursory knowledge of flowers, so if I have mislabeled something, please forgive me.  Better yet, please let me know!

I love lilacs
When I was a little girl, we lived in Illinois for a while.  The neighbors across the street had huge lilac bushes, and I fell in love with their beautiful fragrance.

Azaleas have a corner to themselves
I think flower gardens are so wonderful, and a fairy garden like this really gladdens the heart, don't you think?
Forget-Me-Nots
The photo of the Forget-Me-Nots reminded me of the wonderful talk by President Uchtdorf.  So many women (and others) responded to this talk that it's now been expanded and published as a book.  (See Deseret Book's on-line store) A link to his beautiful message to women is here:  http://www.lds.org/ensign/2011/11/forget-me-not?lang=eng

Clematis  (This photo may be upside-down, what do you think?)

Pink coral bells and violets
I wish I knew the name of that dark red ground cover.  It looks pretty and dramatically sets off the delicate color of the small flowers.

Dog Tooth Violets
 I really love this little Dog Tooth Violet (above).  First, I'm surprised it's not actually violet in color.  Second, those little fringed flowers look so delicate.

Pink Forget-Me-Nots
 Did you know Forget-Me-Nots came in pink, too?  I didn't.

Pink Bleeding Hearts
 Don't these Bleeding Hearts (above) look like tiny Japanese lanterns?

Wood Hyacinth bells

These photos of Desiree's fairy garden reminded me of the song from my childhood.  Remember it?  We sang it as a round in Girl Scouts:

White coral bells upon a slender stalk.
Lilies of the valley deck my garden walk.
Oh, don't you wish that you could hear them ring?
That will happen only when the fairies sing.


Thanks so much, Desiree, for providing this wonderful glimpse into your fairy garden.  Can't wait to see how things grow!

Hear the singing?

No comments: