Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Beets!

Meldee with her recent crop
Beets are a highly nutritious root vegetable, but I know some people don't like them.

I love them!

They are good plain and pickled, boiled or roasted.


My only problem with beets is that I tend to get the red juice all over myself when eating them, no matter how hard I try not to.

Yes.  I know.  It's a personal problem.  Forgive me for over-sharing.

My friend and former roommate, Meldee, sent me these fun photos of her recent beet crop.  I think they look pretty good!

Beets, or beetroot, have been eaten for centuries, and they have also been used as a food coloring and a medicinal plant (aiding in digestion and blood illnesses).  The greens of the beet are also edible, and when boiled or steamed have a taste and texture similar to spinach.


By the way, beets also come in a yellow variety, which might help with my, uh, beet-eating problem.  Beets are high in vitamin A and B vitamins, and trace minerals such as Magnesium.

Seeing Meldee's photos made me hungry for beets!

So, what do you think?  Do you like beets?


No comments: