Thursday, August 28, 2014

Travels With My Aunt

Tante Lillemor and me at the Henriksens in Oslo
It's Throwback Thursday!

Today I thought I'd post a few pictures of me and my Aunt Inger-Mari Strand Henriksen, also affectionately known as Lillemor.  The above photo was taken at my Aunt's inlaws' home in Oslo, Norway, in the 1990s.  (Her husband's brother's place.)  She was already a widow then, and treasured her relationship with her husband's family.

Everyone would remark on how much we looked alike.  I think I look more like her than I did my own mother, her sister!  We always had a special bond.

In Whittier, California, at the Rocky Cola Cafe
When Lillemor came to visit the United States in the early 1990s, I was so thrilled.  She gave a wonderful speech at the Norwegian Mission Reunion in Salt Lake City on that occasion, and also took time to visit me in California.

We sometimes referred to Tante Lillemor as "Lolo".  When I took her to the Rocky Cola Cafe for ice cream, she misread the writing on the front of the building and declared, "Look!  Isn't it funny! It's called the Lolo Cafe?"

My dear Tante Aase flew with her from Salt Lake City on that visit.  Here they are at Disneyland with Mickey.  That was a lovely day.  Tante Aase is in her mid-90s now and starting to slow down a little.


My aunties, Lillemor and Aase, with Mickey Mouse at Disneyland
In the late 1980s, while my Dad and Merlene were living in England, we had a fabulous vacation there.  Lillemor flew down from Norway at that time, and we had a great visit.  I believe this photo (below) was taken in Canterbury, but wouldn't stake my life on it!  We did quite a bit of traveling on that trip.

A rather windblown me with Lillemor in England in the 80s
Lillemor passed away in 1999, after a brief illness.  I still miss her a great deal!

Thanks for indulging me in this quick trip down memory lane!

1 comment:

Linnea said...

Wonderful pictures! I'm so glad you two had such a great relationship. And you do look a lot alike!