Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Oslo's Vigeland Sculpture Park

My nephew Nils with the "Sinnataggen" or Cry Baby statue.
The Vigeland Sculpture park in Oslo, Norway, is one of my favorite places on earth.  I'm glad my brother's family had a chance to visit there!


Back in the 1920s or 30s, Norwegian sculptor, Gustav Vigeland, was given many acres of land on the northwest side of the City of Oslo to do pretty much whatever he wanted to with it as a City Park.... and the result is wonderful.

Linnea posing
Vigeland's vision is the story of life and human beings in all stages of mortality.  It is a delightful, and sometimes very moving, art gallery without walls.

The family group is touching - but don't miss the little sweet girl in the upper right.
My mother said she remembers there being a wooden shed on this spot when she was a little girl.  It was unveiled later as Vigeland's famed obelisk.

The obelisk sits on top of a series of terraces and steps
The wooded area behind the obelisk is the cemetery (Vestre Gravlund) where our family burial plot can be found.

The bridge
I love the energy of this place.  These pictures are just a tiny part of all the wonderful sculptures that are found in this magnificent park. I hope you get to see it in person some day, too!

No comments: