Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Quick Trip to Oslo

Gamle Mau'ern
In front of our grandparents' home in Oslo
The countries of Sweden and Norway are close neighbors, so it didn't take much incentive for my brother and his family to plan a quick trip from my sister-in-law Kirsti's family in Sweden to Oslo, Norway - just to show the younger generation where the Norwegian side of the family comes from.

Part of that trip was a pilgrimage to the old homestead on Mauritz Hansensgate, a place that brings back many happy memories for me.  This was where my mother was raised, and I spent many terrific summers, and one winter, here when I was growing up..

My brother Jay with our Cousin Gro Lene
Jay's family was also able to visit with our cousin Gro, whom we haven't seen for many, many years.  It's funny, but I think in some ways she looks more like my own mother than I do. Funny about those genes.

Downtown Oslo, with the Norwegian flag flying
Oslo is a thriving capital city right at the top point of the Oslo fjord.  It's a very old city, too.  They had their 1000 year celebration in the year 2000.

Oslo harbor with Radhuset - the City Hall
Gro pointed out the dock where our grandfather's office was located. He was a foreman at the Oslo harbor for many years.  When I was little he would take me on board the ships in the harbor and introduce me to his friends as his little American granddaughter.  It was a lot of fun.

The harbor area has been undergoing renovation for many years.
It looks very different now from when I was a child.
With all the money from North Sea oil, Norway has prospered in the past few years.  There has been a lot of new development going on, particularly along the water's edge in Oslo.

The new Oslo Opera House
They give outdoor concerts on the roof here in the summertime!
My cousin Gro and her husband took the family out on the fjord so they could see the area by water.  It was quite a treat!

Out on the boat on the Oslo fjord
Gro and her husband with my nephew Nils
I've sailed up and down the Oslo fjord many times, but never in a power boat!  The boys were delighted that that boat could go VERY fast!

Gro with Nils and Kirsti
Oslo is beautiful in the summer, and the temperatures are mild.  It seldom gets above 80 degrees - which is totally in my comfort zone!

The beautiful Oslo Fjord
Norwegians are closely tied to the forests and the sea.  It's that Viking blood, you know!

Proudly flying Norwegian colors

Sun on the water
The day was perfect for being on the water.


Here is my niece Linnea with her husband Jeff.
It was his first visit to Norway


Norway is a very beautiful country - and still a bit wild and untamed.  There are nearly 3 times as many people in Southern California alone than in the entire country of Norway.

I have to admit I got a bit nostalgic for the 'old country' seeing all these pictures.  I hope you enjoyed this little slice of Oslo, too.

1 comment:

Linnea said...

Want to know a secret? Jeff said he liked Norway better than Sweden. :)