Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Save Chuck!

This next week will decide the fate of my favorite TV show:  NBC's Chuck (Monday nights at 8 p.m.).
It may already be too late to save this show!  However, I couldn't let the week pass without putting in my two cents on this subject.  Why do I like Chuck?  It's a goofy show.  In a world with about 10 CSI-type shows too many, a world in which every program on TV is trying to out-gross the others, or see who can be more vulgar, disgusting and brutal, Chuck is like a refreshing breeze harkening back - in a good way - to the spy shows of yesteryear, like the immortal Don Adams' Get Smart, or the inimitable Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Chuck is different from anything else out there.  It is escapist fare.  It is teen friendly.  In fact, it is a show that is watched by my 20-something nephew and niece - one of the few shows we can chat about and agree upon.  We all like Chuck.

I like the family aspects of Chuck.  I like that Father Bartowski is a genius and Mamma Bartowski can kick anyone's butt.  I like that no matter how tough things are, the Bartowski siblings will fight and work to help each other.

I like the good natured-ness of Chuck.  I like the silliness of the Buy More crew, and the absurdity of having a huge government installation underneath the local Buy More store. 

I like the message that no matter how terrible or scary the world may be, you can always count on your friends and family.

I like the silly peripheral characters of Chuck.  I enjoy the villains, even the not so sinister ones.  I like the fact that occasionally things blow up on this show.  I like the fact that you can't predict what's going to happen from week to week or to any of the characters.

And I like Chuck.  He is a likeable guy.  He is bright and enterprising and brave, in his own nerdy way.  He is a reminder that we all can keep growing, changing, learning and developing throughout our lives.  He is loyal and trustworthy and kind.  He has integrity.  (Yikes!  That's a word you don't hear on TV very often!) I like that Chuck's CIA handler, Sarah, found those same qualities loveable.  Their relationship is one of TV's great romances.

I'm not sure why this show hasn't found the success it should have had.  Perhaps it's because it's up against some stiff competition on Monday nights.  Perhaps it is too goofy for some people's tastes.  I just know I will really miss this show if it goes off the air.

Please NBC - give Chuck a Season 5!

No comments: