Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Barbara was laid to rest today

My friend Barbara was laid to rest today. I was so glad to be able to attend the service, which was held at the LDS Stake Center on Orizaba in Downey, California.

Michael was looking fit, but obviously distraught. There was a large group of family to comfort him.

Barbara's father and brother were there (looking like twins, practically! "I get that all the time in Jerome [Idaho]," her brother exlaimed when I mistook him for his father. Brother Rupert, Barbara's father, is remarkably fit for a man in his 90s. Michael's son Michael gave a lovely eulogy and provided some insights into Barbara's extraordinary life. When he asked if anyone would like to say a few words, several people spoke, including Barbara's father, Richard Daggett (her long time friend and the president of the Polio Survivor's Association) and her kindly hair dresser, who exclaimed she had never seen such wonderful hair as Barbara had.

I met Barbara's sister for the first time. She lives in Texas, [She had absolutely wonderful hair, too.]

The local LDS missionaries sang, Sally DeFord's version of the traditional LDS hymn, "Oh, My Father" to the tune of the traditional "Come Thou Font of Every Blessing." It was just a lovely arrangement. I found it online this afternoon at Sally's website. It is downloadable in pdf format for free. Just google DeFord Music.










Here is a photo of a photo of Michael and Barbara in the early days of their marriage. Barbara was responsible for helping shape California's laws regarding handicapped people, and one story I heard this morning was how Michael and Barbara had met while doing a check of curbs for the committee that was in charge of that legislation. I may have gotten that a little wrong, but it is still sweet that they met, worked together, and fell in love.










Barbara's casket was blue with a lovely spray of pink roses. It reminded me so much of my mother's casket that it gave me pause.







This is Michael's son Michael who delivered the eulogy,














Here is Brother Rupert and Ramona, Barbara's long-time friend and caregiver. Ramona didn't want me to take this picture, but she was really looking beautiful and I couldn't help myself.

















Bishop Bukowski spoke about the Plan of Salvation. Kristie Larsen and Joan Langton were there. It was lovely to see these good sisters. Kristie led the music and Joanie gave the closing prayer. When she broke down in the middle, I was already crying. I got some good hugs from them.

The weather was beautiful. It was sunny and warm. Although the weatherman said the high was 67 degrees, it felt much warmer.

I was so glad that Barbara had such a lovely send-off. She had a challenging life and faced it with courage and what someone today termed an "iron will".

Oh, My Father, thou that dwellest in the high and glorious place
when shall I regain thy presence and again behold thy face?
In thy holy habitation did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood was I nurtured near thy side?

I had learned to call thee "father" through thy Spirit from on high,
but until the key of knowledge was restored, I knew not why
In the heavens are parents single? No, the thought makes reason stare.
Truth is reason. Truth eternal tells me I've a Mother there.

When I leave this frail existence, when I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you in your royal courts on high?
And, at length, when I've completed all you sent me forth to do -
With your mutual approbation, let me come and dwell with you.
- Eliza R. Snow

No comments: