Thursday, April 28, 2011

Captain Christian and other adventures!

My brother's family spent Easter week back East visiting the historical sites around Washington, D.C.  Christian bought the pilot's cap at the Smithsonian and it so delighted the co-pilot of the commercial jet they were taking home, that he got a very special tour of the cockpit!  Christian, who will be 9 years old in June, was thrilled as the co-pilot showed him how a few of the many dials and buttons on the console worked.  What a thrill for a little boy!  I have to say, I'm impressed.  I've never gotten to sit in the pilot's seat of a commercial jet!  And I'm quite surprised that they would do this in our post 9/11 world. I hasten to add, this took place on the ground, during the pre-boarding routine.  But thank you, Mr. Co-Pilot, whoever, wherever you are.  You sure made one little boy's day!
My sister-in-law writes: "We're having a good time here in Washington D.C. We've seen quite a few sites--the Washington and Lincoln monuments and the war memorials. We spent time on Friday and Saturday visiting museums, the air and space museum, the American history museum, Dad and Anders saw the Holocaust museum while Christian and I saw the art museum and the natural history museum--saw the Hope Diamond--huge!


"We visited Arlington cemetery today. It is awesome to think about the number of people who have died fighting for freedom for our country. I feel I should be more appreciative of those who have served our country."

No comments: