Sunday, April 25, 2010

Whittier Stake Emergency Preparedness Fair

The fair was well attended on Saturday. The police were there, the firemen were there, neighborhood watch groups were there, the Boy Scouts had a display, the Red Cross did too, and I also saw Whittier Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital and the Home Depot there.

There were hand-outs and demonstrations of everything from first aid to how to sprout seeds. Brother Morin was in charge of that and had some very useful handouts on seed viability and gardening.








Each ward had a different booth, and there were also several Utah companies that sell food storage items represented.



Here is Alecia Lai (in blue). I'm not sure what she was doing, but she looked great, as usual.











I was able to talk to a lot of people and get all kinds of hand-outs on things to help you through an emergency.
















Here is the Home Depot group. They were handing out yardsticks and duct tape, so they were very popular.






Sadly, my photos aren't the best. I've been experimenting with different settings, and trying to get candid shots of folks takes some practice!



There are a few things I still need to be doing to prepare my own home for emergencies, but I'm getting there! It's nice to get good ideas from professionals. I suppose you are never totally prepared for a real emergency, but every little thing you can do, does help to alleviate fears. My latest purchases have been a tarp and a solar powered flashlight/radio. Baby steps...

No comments: