Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mother Nature's Early Wake Up Call

We had a 4.4 rock 'n roller this morning at 4:04 a.m. This is what it did to my candelabra!




















The patio has been cracked for all the years I've lived here, but looks a bit more buckled after this morning's temblar.



















My hallway gallery pictures are all scaddi-wompass (how do you spell that?!) Other than that, and a few papers that ended up on the floor, we got off easy this time!


Yup, a subtle reminder that we live in earthquake country.

Just to recap, I was rudely awakened this morning at 4 a.m. by someone shaking the bedroom! Then I realized the whole house was shaking and we were having an earthquake. It's the kind of thing where you look at the alarm and groan because you have to get up in a couple of hours and know you won't get back to sleep.

The weird thing was, I have been watching the USGS website and guessed yesterday that we would have a quake within the next few days. However, I had guessed it was about a 5 in magnitude, but my earthquake sensors must be faulty (no pun intended) as the USGS listed it as a 4.4 at 4:04 a.m. (Lots of fours!)

Whittier is right on the fault line that slipped, but the epicenter was on the north end of the Whittier Narrows fault, under the city of Pico Rivera. They said it was a thrust quake. [3/18 They have just announced that it was on the La Puente fault, not the Whittier fault. The La Puente fault also goes under downtown LA and is capable of a 7.5 shaker. I do NOT want to experience that. Thank you, Mother Nature!]

So, was it a foreshock of something bigger to come? Hope not! Between the time change (I hate Daylight Savings Time!) and the early wake-up call, everyone was a little cranky today. Funny how that works! Let's hope we don't have another real soon.

No comments: