Sunday, March 21, 2010

Family History Fair 2010




Every year the Orange Stake hosts a Family History Fair. They bring in genealogists from all over and hold a day full of classes in all aspects of family history research.

It's been a few years since I've attended one of these, and it was a treat. I was able to attend several classes by Barbara Renick, secretary to the National Genealogical Society and the author of Genealogy 101: How to Trace Your Family's History and Heritage.




















I attended lectures in how to use the new Family Search.org and how to use the new Family Search Wiki and another taught by Caroline Rober, a professional genealogist and a past president of the So Cal chapter of the Association of Professional Genealogists.

The credentials of all the lecturers were impressive. And the fair was well attended.





I checked the "Surname Exchange" board, but didn't find anyone who was searching for any of my family names, and no one doing Scandinavian searches. I suppose that was to be expected.
In spite of that, I got excited about picking up my family research again, especially with the explosion of information now on the internet.

No comments: