Tuesday, October 6, 2009

It's A Wonderful Life


There's nothing that says the holidays like seeing the classic film, "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed and Lionel Barrymore.
This year, my local community theatre is doing "It's a Wonderful Life, the Radio Show" and yes, it's the entire film done as a 1940s-style radio program, complete with station breaks and advertisments. I was lucky enough to land the role as Mrs. Bailey, George's mother, and another small part. We've just started rehearsals and so far it is proving a delightful experience.
I can't think of a more fun way to usher in the holidays than with this lovely story about the worth of one good man (and woman) and the power of prayer.
In this world of increasing vulgarity, it's refreshing to be reminded of simpler times. The show also provides small glimpses into the beginnings of the Great Depression in America - an era that resonates all too well in this troubled time we live in.
Our present day woes make the film's (and the play's) message even more vital today, and one of the reasons for its enduring popularity: one person can make a difference, prayers are answered, there is hope for the world - and God still has the final say in the affairs of mankind. I find that message comforting.
Was that a bell I just heard?

1 comment:

Linnea said...

How cool!!!!
We went to a show over the summer that was done entirely as an old radio broadcast - same sort of thing, with commercials and such. It was so cool.
I wish I could come see this. I bet you'll be terrific!