Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cognito Ergo Dim Sum.. I think therefore I like Chinese Food...

I work with a lovely bunch of people.  Today one of our senior engineers, Doug, took us all - the Corporate office and the LA office -  out for dim sum lunch at the Ocean Restaurant in Monterey Park. 

This restaurant is lovely and noisy!  It's like taking a little trip to China without leaving California.  Here I am with Hilary, who is currently in the process of getting her master's in engineering.   She is a lovely young lady.
Here are the other two tables of our coworkers.  Barbara is facing the camera.  We had a good group in the far corner of a very large dining hall.

I was seated at a table of 8, and was one of two Caucasians at our table.  Below this picture you will see Edward and Ivy - caught by surprise by my lightening fast super hidden camera. (sorry!) I've taken to carrying said camera to inflict terror and humiliation on unsuspecting folks.  It's nice to have a pictoral history of places I've been.  This is an extraordinary place.  You can see behind them how huge this place is, and it is always quite packed at lunchtime.  The waitresses all speak Chinese, too, so it is really a fun cultural experience.          

Here are Hilary and Christina (below).  It was nice having four Chinese speakers at our table.  They helped to run interference with the Chinese speaking wait staff, and helped explain certain dishes.  Some things took a little courage to try.  And it was a test I failed miserably this year.  Last year I was fairly brave.  But this time... well, however delicious they may be, I couldn't make myself try the duck feet.  Lots of yummy food, besides that, believe me, I didn't go hungry - but there are always a few things that just don't look appetizing to my Western palate.  We had such a pleasant time, though, overall, and I certainly enjoyed the company.  I think it's very nice of Doug to do this for us every year.  Thanks, Doug. Shu shu. (or however you spell it)

No comments: