Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ride on!

Okay, if you want a laugh [and heaven knows most of us need one these days] click on the following link and view the little YouTube video some cat owner thoughtfully shared with the world:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ-jv8g1YVI




I'm grateful for people who will share these things on-line for our enjoyment. One little video can really make your day a little brighter.



I've been asked to speak in the church at the end of November. My topic? The peace that comes from Self Reliance. I may not be the poster child for that concept, but it occurs to me that being a little prepared for disasters of all kinds certainly can't hurt. If you want to truly be frightened these days, it doesn't take much! If you live in Southern California, for example, just visit http://www.shakeout.org/... or turn on the TV news.



I decided that I was obsessessing on the bad stuff and my solution was to try to get a little more prepared. First, I bought a whistle to carry with me at all times - the Acme Thunderer (see photo) that I have previously mentioned in this blog:

It's still the Official Whistle of the Italian Police Department, by the way.

It's amazing to me how that one little purchase calmed me down. My second "preparedness" purchase was a solar-power/hand crank flashlight/radio/cell phone charger. This device will go in my car. My next plan is to get the apartment handyman to help me "earthquake proof" the apartment. I want to have all the large furniture anchored to the wall and the knick-knacks secured with non-slip tape or museum putty. This is a one step at a time adventure, but I've noticed how these simple things go a long way towards helping me feel more secure.

Food storage is another one of those things where a little preparedness can help us through calamity. I think about the times in my life I've been very glad to have an extra can of soup, or an extra bottle of shampoo on hand! We have an obligation to ourselves and our families to prepare emergency supplies and have a game plan for how to contact each other or where to meet if we are separated in the event of an emergency. Here in the Los Angeles area it's possibly the threat of earthquake, or fire. In other places it could be something else. For any of us it could also be terrorist attack, pandemic, or sudden loss of job or other income due to forces beyond our control.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the ShakeOut's message of "Drop, cover and hold on!" is applicable to us all no matter where we live or what our circumstances in life.

Drop to your knees and ask for the Lord's help in taking caring of yourself and your family.

Cover your necessities by storing food, toiletries, money, medicines and other items that might help you fend for yourself in the event of an emergency.

Hold On to your faith, your loved ones and your peace by preparing for the future. You will be glad you did.

Mother Earth is, when all is said and done, just a giant Roomba after all.

Ride On, little kitty!

No comments: