Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Trip to Phoenix

Tuesday, July 22, 2008
It feels like Monday instead of Tuesday. I bet this week will drag by.It was a bittersweet weekend. I was so glad to be able to spend time with my Dad, although I don't think he actually knew who I was. He's very frail. His eyes are so glassy it looks like he has a fever. Saturday I thought he looked so bad he could die any minute, but Sunday and Monday he was responsive (for him) and following along with things. He actually laughed at one of my jokes! It was good to see him smile.We got to chat with the caregivers: the CNAs, the Hospice nurse and the sweet people who run the home he's in. It's a beautiful house, and so peaceful there. Daddy's getting good care and seems content there most of the time, although his Alzheimer's makes him restless. I noticed he can still walk on his own, but needs assistance up and down, but that is still good. However the Hospice nurse told me he'd likely have another decline after this, as he was so lucid over the weekend. I have no idea if he has days, weeks or months to go. Somehow I think it's weeks, but I suppose we'll see. I feel like my emotions are so close to the surface today, like I'm emotionally hung-over.

No comments: