Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Blackpool

Sterling and Nicole
When I hear the name, "Blackpool", I immediately think of that wonderful film with Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez called, "Shall We Dance?"


If you haven't seen it, let me recommend it.  It's a delightful, life-affirming film.  And it really makes you want to get up and dance.

Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez ballroom dancing
In the movie, Jennifer Lopez's character explains how Blackpool is the ultimate Ballroom Dancing competition, held in Blackpool, England each year, and how people come from all over the world to compete there.

So, when I heard my Cousin Nicole announce she and her new hubby Sterling were going to Blackpool it really meant something to me!

Nicole and Sterling are part of the BYU (That's Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, USA) Ballroom dance team.  They have been preparing with their team for the past year, working with renowned coaches and choreographers, to compete in the British Formation Championship.

Evidently BYU has quite a reputation there.  They are consistent winners in the world-wide arena.

From what I understand, there are five separate competitions held each year in the Empress Ballroom, Winter Gardens under the name of the Blackpool Dance Festival.  For nearly 100 years, some of the finest dancers in the world have gathered here to compete.


The Empress Ballroom, Blackpool
Wow.
If you click on the link to the right that says, "Sterling and Nicole" you will see Nicole's fun blog post about this terrific opportunity.  My favorite comment of hers was how she sometimes didn't think she could get into her knees any more!

I know that feeling.  I just don't have her excuse!

Championship Formation Dancing at its finest

Ballroom dancing includes a variety of styles, such as the waltz, foxtrot, the hustle, and Latin dances.The BYU team became the first Americans to ever win the British Formation Championships, a feat they have repeated an unprecedented ten times!  They have also competed in the World Formation Championships and consistently earn top honors in the United States National Formation Championships.

I can't wait to hear all about Nicole and Sterling's experiences in England.  This year's competition began on May 23rd and ends on the 31st   

I guess you can't say, "break a leg", like they do in the theatre (HA!), so I'll just have to say: Good luck, Team BYU!

1 comment:

Linnea said...

I love that movie, think it's time to rewatch it again soon!