Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lost in Translation?



My nephew Daniel and his wife Holly have been posting silly messages on Facebook about the baby coming. [They just found out they're having a little boy on August 13th]

Well, I wondered what Holly had written in Chinese, so I copy the Chinese characters, paste them into a Word document and print it out.

I give the paper to Mike Miao, one of our engineers from mainland China. He starts slowly translating into English… “I can’t believe that you are going to be…” here he starts stumbling and looks up at me with an odd expression, “my ... baby’s father?”

I suddenly realize how insane that probably sounds to him coming from a woman he works with!

I hurriedly explain that it’s not personal! It's from my niece in law to my nephew and they are expecting their first child.

Then I go into my office and laugh myself silly.

1 comment:

Linnea said...

Hahahaha! This gave me a good laugh!